This is a spin off the "5 Reasons Why YouTube and Flickr are Successful" - by Brand Autopsy.
Here's the 5 for YouTube and Flickr:
- Do Something Better: Find a way or a better way …
- Believe in What You Do: Success is a by-product of doing well.
- Community is Everything: Listen to your community.
- Be Soulful: Even if you sell, like Flickr, don't sell your soul.
- Be Authentic: The lack of corporate polish adds to the feeling that there are real people behind the idea.
Now, here's my take on 5 Reasons Why Job Seekers Should Blog:
- Do Something
BetterElse: It's not that it's better, it's just another tool. Tools are good.
- Believe in What You Do: Let your blog be the platform to tell the world about you!
- Community is Everything: Listen to your community (yep, this is a big community). Listen to what the community is saying and weigh in on the issues of job search and recruiting.
- Be Soulful: Let your passion out of the attic. Your crazy Aunt doesn't need to see it - we do.
- Be Authentic: We want to hire you....not your impersonation of somebody else. If you don't know what I mean, see this post.
Alison gives a few more pointers, here.